Your journey begins in Ushuaia, Argentina, at the pier. Board your ship in the afternoon and sail along the Beagle Channel towards Puerto Williams, Chile, the southernmost town in the world. Explore the surroundings before setting sail to Cape Horn.
After an overnight crossing of Nassau Bay, you awake in full view of legendary Cape Horn! Weather permitting, board a Zodiac, and be one of the few privileged adventurers to step foot on this famous and rarely visited island. Back on board, set sail towards Antarctica and cross the famous passage named in honor of Sir Francis Drake, the great 16th-century British explorer.
As you sail through the Drake Passage en route to King George Island, in the South Shetland Islands, attend an engaging program of lectures and presentations. In the company of expert guides, watch for wildlife from the lounge or from the outside decks. You may spot magnificent seabirds, such as albatrosses and petrels, as well as different species of whales on their way south to Antarctica.
After crossing the Antarctic Convergence, the environment changes noticeably. Keep your camera ready, as this is the time to watch for the first icebergs and the first sight of Antarctic land. Reaching the South Shetland Islands, sail in ice-filled bays while enjoying the company of seabirds, penguins, seals, and whales. Board a Zodiac for your first memorable shore visit to a penguin colony. Taking advantage of the endless Antarctic daylight, exploration will continue well into the evening.
Upon reaching King George Island, disembark at Fildes Bay. A 2-km (1.25-mi) walk takes you through Chile’s Frei Station and Russia’s Bellingshausen Station to the aircraft. Bid farewell to Antarctica as you board the flight back to Punta Arenas. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel for the night. (Note: Meals in Punta Arenas are at your leisure and not included in the program).
After breakfast, transfer to the Punta Arenas airport for your onward flight.
The January 2-8, 2021 (HEB06-AE) departure on board Hebridean Sky is a day longer and operates in reverse, with start in Punta Arenas and end in Ushuaia. An itinerary description is available on request.
Antarctica Express Air-Cruise
6 DAYS / 5 NIGHTS
Rates from $4,795
Introductory and affordable expedition experience. It combines visits to Cape Horn and Antarctica
Included in the Rate
- For air-cruises starting in Punta Arenas, group transfers to the airport/hotel on Day 1.
- For air-cruises starting in Punta Arenas, 1 overnight with breakfast in Punta Arenas at the Cabo de Hornos Hotel or similar, with a welcome dinner including drinks on Day 1.
- 1 overnight with breakfast in Punta Arenas at the Cabo de Hornos Hotel or similar on the Day of the Scheduled Return Flight from Antarctica.
- Group transfers to the airport/hotel on the Day of the Scheduled Return Flight from Antarctica, and group transfers to the hotel/airport on the last Day of the Air-Cruise.
- Flight from Punta Arenas to Frei Station on King George Island and/or vice versa as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage.
- Ship cruise along the Antarctic Peninsula as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage.
- Daily buffet breakfast and lunch on board ship offering a wide choice of dishes.
- Daily served dinner on board ship offering a choice of three main courses.
- Wine, beer, juice, and soft drinks served with lunch and dinner on board ship.
- Coffee, tea, chocolate, cappuccino, water and snacks on board ship throughout the expedition.
- All guided shore excursions.
- Lectures and entertainment on board.
- Comprehensive pre- and post-voyage information material.
- Loan of waterproof boots for landing in Antarctica.
- Contingency Plan as described further on.
- IAATO passenger fee.
toggle dots below to see package exclusions
Specifically not Included in the Rate
- Accommodation, meals, excursions and transfers other than those included in the itinerary and the Contingency Plan corresponding to each voyage. Specifically, dinner in Punta Arenas upon return from Antarctica is not included.
- Beverages purchased at the ship’s bar.
- Personal travel insurance.
- Extra expenses (communication, laundry, souvenirs, etc.).
- Visas for Chile and/or Argentina, passport expenses, and any arrival and/or departure tax, if applicable.
toggle dots below to see package inclusions
A new and modern expedition vessel custom-built for our Antarctic air-cruises.
A modern and comfortable expedition vessel.
A a small, all-suite expedition vessel.